Algonquian Parallel? Muskogean Parallel?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 3 00:19:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 voorhis at westman.wave.ca wrote:
> Of course, modern Algonquian languages cannot reproduce the stative vs.
> active contrast of Siouan and Muskogean because they mostly use the same
> pronominal affixes for both subject and object, sorting out the
> reference with the so-called theme signs, though the latter must have
> been object pronouns originally.

I've seen similar analyses of the IE theme vowel in verbs, comparing
thematic paradigms to the definite object paradigms in some Uralic
languages.

> My take on the pseudo-intransitives is that they are just intransitive
> verbs that seem to contain a morpheme that usually indicates
> transitives, cf.  Ojibwe pimipattoon 'run' and aapacittoon 'use it',
> both with -ttoo- (-n is just the 2nd sg. imperative suffix).
> Conversely, pseudo-transitive verbs lack any common transitive
> morpheme, cf. Ojibwe miicin 'eat it' and wiissinin 'eat'.

I take it that there are actually *both* pseudo-intransitives and
pseudo-transitives in Algonquain languages?  Do pseudo-transitives, which
seem to be the relevant class involve a non-concordial argument (or maybe
the term here is complement)?

Was the 'seek help from' verb (I deleted the example in editing this down)
a pseudo-transitive, so-called, or that something different?

Actually, I'm sort of casting about for a better term than "experiencer
(subject) verb."  I've already explained why "dative subject" doesn't
appeal to me.  I'd also like something that doesn't presume the subject
issue, or, at least, address it, since that introduces a number of
possibly irrelevant assumptions.

There are at least four morphological classes of these verbs to handle in
Siouan contexts, to wit, verbs like dhiNge that are always "like that,"
but aren't dative, verbs like git?e that are always like that, and are
dative, verbs that stative but can also act like that, and, as I recall
from previous discussions, verbs that are probably always like that and
involve a locative.

JEK