Interesting Constituency Example

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Oct 13 14:50:52 UTC 2002

I think we (read: John) are just getting to the point
in Siouan grammars where we can begin to see the
implications of these really interesting syntactic
constructions.  They even manage to get me interested
in syntax, and that's saying something.

> Something else of interest about this example is the
use of the 'when'
> form =kki-z^i in which =z^i ia clearly not the
negative, or, at leat, does
> not have negative force here.  From the context,
perhaps it means "only
> when, in the case that."

I guess it isn't uncommon for negatives to participate
in this sort of 'irrealis' usage, cf. French sentences
like

Je crains qu'il ne vienne.     'I'm afraid lest s/he
come'.
I   fear that'he NEG come(subjunct.)