Dakota itazipA 'bow'

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Oct 13 14:56:54 UTC 2002

> We were speculating on the meaning of the -zipA
component of the Dakota
> 'bow' word a while back.  I think we noticed zi'pe=la
'thin, fine'.
> How about this, though?  OP mu[u]'=zibe 'to shoot',
Dorsey 90:189.9.  Mu=
> is, of course, the shooting instrumental.  This stem
occurs exactly once
> in the texts.

I bet that's it.  The only other possibility is that
zibe is a borrowing from Dakotan -- a folk etymology
based on itazipela.  Maybe Kathy, Ardis or Catherine
can check for it in other contexts.  Quapaw, Kaw and
Osage are all gone now.  Chiwere is a possibility for
related forms.