Root lists.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:21:12 UTC 2002

I'm very sorry, John!  My memory is hazy and, of
course, I had nothing to do with writing software.  For
some reason I thought that Wes had done that program up
at home and had then applied it to virtually all the
MVS languages we were working with.  I do recall going
through the output for Kansa and Quapaw (at least) to
delete nouns and other items the process had been
applied to by accident.  Part of the "massaging"
process.

Bob

> > Back in the early '90's Wes Jones came up with a
computer program (ran
> > in DOS I'm sure) that stripped away locatives,
instrumentals, etc.
> > from dictionary files and left him/us with a long
list of roots.

> Actually, I believe the data extraction and
reformatting on Buechel and
> some other sources from the Siouan Archives, was done
by me.  Wes did the
> sorting and analysis, and I think the idea may have
come from the editors
> in general (Bob Rankin, Dick Carter, Wes Jones, and
David Rood).