gypsum or "mica"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 3 19:57:04 UTC 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu wrote:
> Is there any relationship between La. makha and OP maNdhiN'ka,
> 'earth', 'soil', 'clay' or (I think) 'season'?

Good question!  I can see I'm going to have to look at this.  It would
mean comparing Pre-Da *maNh-ka to Pre-Dh *maN(r)iNh-ka.  I suspect, with
no real evidence, that 'season' is a chance homophone, like the two
wac^hi in OP.

> OP maz^aN', in my experience, seems to mean 'land' in the sense of
> 'territory' or 'region'.  Offhand, I can't think of anywhere I've seen
> it used for 'soil'.

Yeah, like Genoa, NE 'ppaN'dhiN ma(N)'z^aN'.  I'll have to see where I got
that 'soil' idea, if I didn't hallucinate it.

JEK