gypsum or "mica"

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Sep 6 09:49:58 UTC 2002

The stem makha 'earth, soil, world' also appears in omakha 'year,
season' referring to the yearly cycle of earthly change, I presume.
Cree has a similar semantic link between a word for earth and a
word for year, though I can't remember the word.

Bruce

On 3 Sep 2002, at 13:12, rlarson at unlnotes01.unl.edu wrote:

> Is there any relationship between La. makha and OP
> maNdhiN'ka, 'earth', 'soil', 'clay' or (I think)
> 'season'?
>
> OP maz^aN', in my experience, seems to mean 'land'
> in the sense of 'territory' or 'region'.  Offhand,
> I can't think of anywhere I've seen it used for
> 'soil'.
>
> Rory
>
> > Maya means 'bank' or 'cliff'' as in maya gliheya 'steep bank'
>
> > Bruce

> >> What's the difference between mayaN and makha?  'Earth' vs. 'clay'?
> >> I'm guessing 'earth' from OP maz^aN 'land' and, I think, 'soil'.
> >>
> >> JEK

Dr. Bruce Ingham
Reader in Arabic Linguistic Studies
SOAS