Chiwere

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Sep 7 16:08:56 UTC 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Alan H. Hartley wrote:
> Harking back to our complicated and fascinating discussion of the
> etymology of Chiwere (and Dhegiha) in Feb.-Mar. 2000, can someone please
> tell me the current pronunciation of the name *in English*: especially,
> is the initial consonant voiced or not, and is the stress on the second
> syllable or the first?

For linguists, the pronunciation is [c^<lax i>'w<lax e>ri] or [c^<lax
i>'weiri].  The c^ isn't aspirated, because of being before an unaccented
vowel.  (I'm using the '+syllable convention.)  I'm not aware that the
term is used in English except in a learned fashion, by linguists,
anthropologists, and archeologists.  The usual version in popular use (by
the people, of the people) is probably Otoe, for which I have ['outou]
with the usual reduction of t to tapped r.

Jimm Good Tracks would be a better source than I on actual day to day use
of any of these terms - when used and how pronounced.