Fw: Error Condition Re: Re: transitivity, etc,

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Sep 29 20:30:04 UTC 2002

Rankin responding to Koontz:
> > > No idea, really, though I think not, as I've never
> > run into any verbs with multiple patient inflection,
> >
> > You must mean something other than the experiencer
> > "transitives" like 'resemble', 'be proud of', 'be
> > afraid of', and the like -- of which there are quite a
> > number

These particular xamples are Dakotan examples, though, right? And in
Dakotan these do inflect doubly, with a possibility of two pronominal
prefixes.

> I've been collecting them, and, as you know, they require a stative
> subject and stative object in various of the languages.  The subject
> is inevitably an experiencer.

I think I might have been obscure/  I definitely don't mean that I haven't
encountered this pattern - in fact it's what we've been talking about, in
part.  I just mean I don't recollect any examples where both arguments are
coded with pronominal prefixes.  One argument is always third person and
so either zero-coded (so to speak) or unencoded.

JEK