waiN

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 4 23:25:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, R. Rankin wrote:
> Finding other glottal stems with the alternation would
> be ideal, but there are so few viable glottal stems
> that you'd probably want to extend the search beyond
> them.

k? in

*s^ik?e 'woman's brother-in-law'
*k?iN 'pack, carry on back'
*k?e 'dig'
*hki?uN 'gamble'  (*k?oN in Dhegiha)
*k?u 'give'
*yook?i 'to roast'
*k?a... *k?o... *k?e... in onomatopeics for grating noises
*ak?a 'south or west wind'

The most promising look to be 'dig'. 'roast'. and, of course, 'pack on the
back'.  'Give' might be a dative, but probably not a suus-form.

===

*?iN 'wear about the shoulders'
*?o 'hit and wound'
*?uN 'do/be'

I think there's a longer list of *?-stems on the list a few years ago.
I also surveyed OP carying verbs a while back this year.

JEK