Chiwere

Jimm G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Mon Sep 9 02:43:55 UTC 2002

As John correctly indicateds, the English term used by the People in and
of the community is "Otoe" or "Otoe-Missouria".  The latter is
particularily true of those few families that can trace a direct link to
Missouria ancestors.  This is usually indicated by present day surnames.

When speaking in the language, the contemporary term used by the People
is "Jiwere", as in:
Jiwe're hiNch^e' to.  Let's speak (in) Otoe.  (dual)
The linguistic term "Chiwere" is not understood, not does it have
significance.  It is a mispronunciation which has now passed into a
popular legitimatized academic usage.
On occasions when the last fluent speaker of the language, Truman Daily,
would address the People at a large gathering, such as a tribal dance, he
would address all gathered, saying:

Ho, Jiwere Nyut^achi.  Warigroxiwi ke.   Tahena hine granax^unna.
Greetings, Otoe-Missouria People, I pray for you (gloss: I am greatly
thankful for your attention).
For those (of you who) listening to me.

jgt

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:08:56 -0600 (MDT) Koontz John E
<John.Koontz at colorado.edu> writes:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Alan H. Hartley wrote:
> > Harking back to our complicated and fascinating discussion of the
> > etymology of Chiwere (and Dhegiha) in Feb.-Mar. 2000, can someone
please
> > tell me the current pronunciation of the name *in English*:
especially,