transitivity, locative prefixes & the pronomin. argument hypothesis.

Randolph Graczyk Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sat Sep 28 00:29:30 UTC 2002

I have been treating verbs like 'stand on' with locative prefixes as
transitive in Crow.  I guess my main reason for saying this is that the
locative prefixes are somewhat fossilized, i.e., they do not combine freely
with verb roots, but only occur with a limited set of roots, and their
semantics are not always perfectly straightforward.

Some Crow verbs with locative prefixes actually have double objects, e.g.
a'apchiaxxu 'pour on' : pour water on John.

Randy