Nishnabotna etym.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Apr 3 16:52:11 UTC 2003

John and I puzzled over this one when we were trying to etymologize Lewis
and Clark names for Moulton.  It could be Algonquian, since nishnabe or
something very close to it is 'man'.  It also looks like Omaha /ni $nabe/
roughly 'dirty water'.  The problem is the -otna in both instances.  Maybe
Jimm can enlighten us on whether "canoe making river" is a reasonable Otoe
etymology.  Shnabotna doesn't look like 'canoe making' to me though.

Bob