Tense

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Apr 6 00:57:00 UTC 2003

Hi Pat,

I'll generate a .pdf file and email it if that's OK.
The paper is about the Quapaw language, but the
statements/arguments work just about as well for
Dakotan too.  This draft is pretty rough.  I was asked
to talk on the subject while I was a Fellow at the
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology in Melbourne.
I cobbled it together using a Quapaw text I had
analyzed for a sketch of that language, an Omaha text
from James Owen Dorsey (1890) and maybe one or two
others.  It doesn't set out to "prove" that Siouan
lacks tense as a verbal category but rather
concentrates on the use of aspect, constitutent order,
temporal conjunctions and adverbs, as well as
grammaticalized particles to convey time distinctions.
It was strictly an oral presentation to accompany
typological surveys of tense and time being dong there
by Fritz Serzisko of the U. of Koeln.

Best,

Bob Rankin