Nishnabotna etym.

Tom Leonard tleonard at prodigy.net
Sun Apr 6 18:28:49 UTC 2003

I think the original translator (perhaps) transcribed it
"Neesh-nah-ba-to-na" incorrectly (i.e. "to-na" was, more than likely,
supposed to be "ttaNga"). I don't think 'canoe making river' is/was the
literal translation. Rather, I think
"ni s^nabe ttaNga" (river-dirty-big) was/is probably an actual name for a
specific river or creek -more than likely the spot considered good for
making canoes.
TML