Dhegiha Hymnals and Bible Portions

Justin McBride jmcbride at kayserv.net
Mon Apr 7 15:28:37 UTC 2003

Ho!

I have a question for the Dhegihanists out there.  I recently received a request from a hospital chaplain in Chicago for information on hymnals or Bibles (and/or Bible portions) in the Kaw language.  I told him that to the best of my knowledge no such texts existed for Kaw.  But later it really got me to wondering about James Owen Dorsey.  If Dorsey acheived enough fluency in Ponca to conduct church services, isn't it at least plausible that he devised some sort of hymn book and perhaps even translated Bible portions?  Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about the man or his work outside of Kaw to answer this question.  Did he ever do anything like this?  And even if he didn't, does anyone know if *any* documents like this exist for OP, OS, or QU (and perhaps KS, in case I overlooked something)?

WíblahaN,
-Justin McBride