Dorsey

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 7 19:40:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Anthony Grant wrote:
> Yes, Dorsey was Episcopalian.  Odd, since he came from Baltimore,
> which is a very Catholic city.

Well, Maryland was the only colony founded as a Catholic refuge (by Lord
Baltimore), but at least as a child in the suburbs I didn't notice an
particularly predominance of Catholics around Baltmire or Annapolis in the
1950s.  If you ask an American for the name of a Catholic city, they'd
come up with Boston, I think.  I don't know if I would have noticed, of
course, if there were a lot of Catholics around, and perhaps things were
difference a hundred years earlier, anyway.  At present I think the
various Christian sects are fairly randomly distributed across the US.

I thought Dorsey was from the vicinity of Harper's Ferry.  I think
Episcopalianism had a strong presence in Virginia and the upper "Old
South" at one point, and Maryland is not that different, culturally, from
Virginia.  The Tidewater accent area extends from Maryland down into North
Carolina along the coast.

JEK