Dhegiha Hymnals and Bible Portions

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Apr 8 15:43:58 UTC 2003

 >  My understanding is that Dorsey produced a book called Ponka wa-ba-ru A
B C (or something like that) which was a reading book in Ponca. I haven't
seen this but I'd e amazed if it didn't have some religious material in it.
There was a book produced in Kaw (called something like "The First Kauzas
Book") which was witten in an orthography of the sort devised by Rev. Jotham
Meeker.  This appeared in the 1840s, I think, and no copy of the original
300 printed is known to exist.  As far as I know, no other book of ANY sort
was ever produced in Kansa (or in Quapaw for that matter), but maybe Bob
Rankin has superior info on this.

I've never run across a copy of the little book in Kaw.  wish I had.  I
didn't find any trace of it in the archives of the KS State Historical
Society library in Topeka.  If 300 copies were originally produced, there
must be one SOMEwhere.