Shoebox and Unicode

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 8 23:30:43 UTC 2003

I just heard from Peter Constable at SIL that an impending version of MS
Word for Windows (I don't know which specific version) is supposed to
include direct support for the Unicode principle of being able to composed
characters from sequences of base characters and diacritic characters.

He also indicates that SIL expects "soon" to release a version of Shoebox
with Unicode support, though he didn't actually specify that it would
handle composed diacritics.

And, for what it's worth, my understanding is that Red Hat Linux 8
supports Unicode in some sense, though I mainly know about that in terms
of the problems it causes for applications that don't yet support Unicode,
e.g., Adobe Acrobat (*.pdf file viewer).

JEK