Osage plural

Pustet Pustet at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Apr 9 18:21:58 UTC 2003

Pustet <Pustet at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> schrieb:

Kommentar:
----------
OK -- LaFlesche's strong Omaha background should explain a lot about his Osage transcription. But what I was wondering is whether the two languages were in a contact situation that made borrowing, i.e. complete adoption, of Omaha/Ponca plural -i into Osage possible.
But actually, the more I think about it the less likely I find it that borrowing took place, or that LaFlesche just sort of confused the plural marker in Omaha/Ponca with the plural marker in Osage. There is an alternative explanation: if the original state of affairs is a plural marker -pi in Osage, it is conceivable that it was shortened to -i in the course of time. Such reductive processes are normal, especially with high-frequency items, as Bybee and others tell us, and plural markers are in this category.
The Lakota plural marker, which happens to be -pi as well, is a case in point: in today's spoken Lakota, the full form -pi is not that frequent. Realizations of the plural marker run the gamut from -pi, -p, -b, -m, -mp to vowels or semivowels like -w, -u, -o, etc. That Osage -pi is still -pi in LaFlesche's and Dorsey's ceremonial texts would fit the overall picture because ceremonial language tends to be more conservative than everyday language, in which structural reduction happens first.
Best,
Regina

Diese Nachricht wurde ueber den WWW-Server des LRZ verschickt.
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de
Rechnername des Absenders: stnb-d932e714.pool.mediaways.net
IP Adresse des Absenders: 217.50.231.20