RE 'want' and chair inscription.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 1 14:52:21 UTC 2003

The form at the bottom of the inscription on the Curtis chair has what at
first glance appears to be KO'ONTHA IHA.  When I was going over the photo
yesterday I blew up this section.  The mark after the first O may be an
apostrophe, but it may also be another raised "n".  I think this was how at
least one of John's comments interpreted it too.  The more closely you look,
the harder it is to tell whether the right-hand stroke on the putative "n"
is part of the mark or a reflection -- or possibly a discoloration of the
lacquer.  I just thought I'd point that out for what it's worth.

This bottom phrase is the only part of the inscription that still bothers
me.