RE 'want' and chair inscription.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:08:29 UTC 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> The form at the bottom of the inscription on the Curtis chair has what at
> first glance appears to be KO'ONTHA IHA.  When I was going over the photo
> yesterday I blew up this section.  The mark after the first O may be an
> apostrophe, but it may also be another raised "n".  I think this was how at
> least one of John's comments interpreted it too.  The more closely you look,
> the harder it is to tell whether the right-hand stroke on the putative "n"
> is part of the mark or a reflection -- or possibly a discoloration of the
> lacquer.  I just thought I'd point that out for what it's worth.

Yes, I interpreted the mark after the first o as a raised n.

> This bottom phrase is the only part of the inscription that still bothers
> me.

Ditto.  Though the question of the language or intended language is
somewhat vexed - probably Osage, and the issue of who composed it and
their familiarity with the language is also an issue.

Note that iha can be 'lip', though that is unlikely here!

JEK