Chair

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:34:52 UTC 2003

> Point 2 seems to be up in the air.  We've had claims for
every Dhegihan language but Quapaw.  Considerations are:
Curtis' tribal affiliation was Kaw, so we would expect it
to come from them.

Curtis was 1/8 Kaw and considered the Kaws as his tribe.  They are the ones
he spent several of his early years with, between age 3 and 13.  He was,
however, also 1/8 Osage, and there was some Potawatomi ancestry on his
mother's side too.  It turns out he clearly had more Indian ancestry and
cultural contact during his most formative years than most historians have
given him credit for.  Sources say he knew the Kaw language and that he also
knew French since he attended the French mission school on the reservation
at Council Grove, KS.