Want and Hope in OP

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Aug 2 06:51:35 UTC 2003

I have completed my investigation into OP 'want' for now.

The simple verb, translated 'desire, wish' by Dorsey or his translators,
is

A1 kkaN'=bdha
A2 s^kaN'=s^na ~ s^kaN'=hna ~ s^kaN'=na
A3 gaN'=dha
A12 aNgaN'=dha=i

As far as other forms I did find

wikkaN'=bdha=hnaN=maN 'I invariably desire you' (1890:176.17)
dhigaN'=dha=b=az^i 'not desiring you' (1890:406.9)

The wi is the analog of Dakotan c^hi.  So, the object precedes the first
stem in OP.  The verb can take an animate object as in 'desire you' or
'desire her', or a plural object as in kkaN'=bdha=i 'I want them'.

The more and less elaborate forms, translated 'hope' by Dorsey, are
attested in a limited range of forms in the texts.

Starting with the latter, it appears that when a'=bi=ama 'he said
(quotative)' follows, you get:

A1 kkaN 'I hope'

JOD 1890:44.12-13

E'skana, wini'si,     s^iN'gaz^iNga ukki'a=i
Oh that  my offspring children      they talk with each other

i'e        thi=gdha'gdha=        ma  e'gaN kkaN', a'=bi=ama.
they speak they begin repeatedly the so    I hope he said

Oh, I hope that my children are the kind of children who begin to speak a
lot," he said.

The formula with e'ska(na) .. some wish ... followed by some form meaning
'I hope' or 'I wish' is common in the texts.  Dorsey renders the initial
particle 'oh that' or 'would that' or 'I hope' (the last less
satisfactory).  Judging by glosses of =ska and e=ska in various Siouan
languages, it is something like 'perhaps'.

The first longer form is:

A1 kkaN'=bdh=egaN

This might be kkaN=bdha + egaN, but I tend to agree with Rory that it is
probably a form of e=dh(e)=e'gaN 'to think'.  This last is inflected:

A1 e=bdh=e'gaN
A2 e=s^n=e'gaN(=i)
A3 e=dh=e'gaN
A12 aNdhaN'dha=i   (cf. aNdhaN'=i 'we said')

The inclusive seems to imply an underlying stem i-dhe.  For 'say' the
inclusive stem could be i-<nothing> or dhaN.  The latter is perhaps more
plausible ...

A possible third person occurs in 1890:152.19

na'=t?e      eskaN' edh=e'gaN
dead of heat "she"  "hoped he was"

Here the quoted glossing is Dorsey's and seems unlikely.  I think this
form actually goes with forms like

A1  eskaN bdh=egaN 'I expect that ...; I thought it might be that ...'

A3  eskaN edh=e'gaN=i 'they thought it might be that ...'
A12 eskaN aNdhaNdha=i 'we think it is so; we think that'

The second longer form is:

A1 kkaN'(=)e=bdh=egaN

Here, however, we have a lot of inclusives to compare with.

A12 kkaN'(=)aNdhaNdha=i  'we hope'

Note that the puzzling form following kkaN' is 'we think' (see above).
Concerning the puzzling kkaN I can only say that I am puzzled.  This is
not the first person, clearly, though it might be by analogy with the
first person form.  I don't know of any cognates for any of this, and
there are no second or third persons in the texts.  It does certainly look
like this form and therefore probably the first one, begin with kkaN.

Note that eskaN is behaving like a replacement for the e= of think in the
first person of eskaN + think.  In first longer alternative
(kkaN=bdh=egaN), kkaN seems to replace e=.  However, e= resurfaces in the
second form.  Perhaps this is our hint that some sort of reanalysis is at
work here.

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz