double inflection

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sun Aug 3 16:46:05 UTC 2003

This is actually quite exciting, though not yet (I believe) immediately
relevant to the UA case (though perhaps Jason will see a connection).

What the reduplication of person marking in short verbs like ya reminds
me more of is a case from Muskogean. The Muskogean languages, as Bob and
perhaps many others of you know, have a series of verbal ablauts called
grades which are used to mark aspect, e.g. the hn-grade of Chickasaw
basha 'to be operated on' (I'll write nasalized vowels with capital
letters):

basha 'he is operated on'
bahÁsha 'he gets operated on a lot'

sabasha 'I am operated on'
sabahÁsha 'I get operated on a lot'

What reminds me of the Ibláble case is what happens with a verb like
isso 'to hit':

ihÍsso 'he hits him a lot'
sahÁsso 'he hits me a lot'

Grade formation generally operates on the penultimate vowel of the verb
stem. But with a verb like sa-sso 'he hists me', that penultimate vowel
is an inflectional prefix, so grade formation operates on it. Thus what
seems to me to be the parallel to the reduplication of person-marked ya:
normally these morphological rules want to operate on stems, but if they
are dealing with a short stem they may target an inflectional marker.

Pam