double inflection

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Mon Aug 4 02:46:10 UTC 2003

I believe that John is suggesting that the order is

Inflection (person marking: stem-initial y of ya replaced by bl etc.: ya
 > bla)
Reduplication (bla > blabla)

Then my guess would be that ablaut (final a > e) follows this, applying
as usual to the final syllable of the ablauting stem (blabla > blable).

Certainly if ablaut came before reduplication, we'd get bleble. Perhaps
there are very short ablauting verbs that give such a result (I can't
think of any). But I bet such verbs do not start with y!

If ablaut is  inflectional, this example shows is that ablaut must a
later inflectional process than person marking. (This is thus another
case which in which the two reduplicated elements are less than
perfectly similar to each other.)

I hope this makes sense. I am after all only a closet Siouanist wannabe....

Thanks again to all of you for your incredibly thought-provoking help.

Pam