ASB puza

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 8 15:55:38 UTC 2003

As this list's resident lurking Algonquianist I don't have too much to add,
except that indeed, the Proto-Algonquian word for 'bobcat' was */pe$iwa/ ($
= s-hacek). It has an impeccable Algonquian pedigree (no pun intended), but
it's even closer to English 'pussy' in certain daughter languages, such as
Penobscot /p at so/ (@ = schwa). In the language that would have given it to
Dakota, namely Ojibwe, it's /bizhiw/.

best,

Dave Costa