ASB puza

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 9 13:23:09 UTC 2003

Quoting David Costa <pankihtamwa at earthlink.net>:

> Well, I can't speak for Siouan, but in Algonquian it's not uncommon for the
> old 'bobcat' word *pe$iwa to end up meaning plain old 'cat'. This is at
> least the case for Miami pin$iwa and Kickapoo pesia (tho not Shawnee or
> Ojibwe).
>
> Given the morphological transparency of *meh$ipe$iwa ('big bobcat'), it
> might not be of Proto-Algonquian or even Proto-Central Algonquian vintage.
> Moreover, I'm not convinced panthers existed in the original
> Proto-Algonquian homeland.

The Proto-Algonquian homeland is about as fixed as flowing water. In more
naive times Siebert placed it in southern Ontario around Georgian Bay;
Goddard has recently correctly repositioned "west of Lake Superior," but
meaning what?--somewhere between Duluth and Hokkaido? In any event, the Proto-
Algonquians would no doubt have had contact with the mountain lion since it's
original habitat included all of what is now southern Canada.

 In Central Algonquian words for 'panther', one
> often sees forms that reference the animal's long tail or long body, such as
> Shawnee keenwaaloweeta ('one who has a long tail'), Miami kinoosaawia, and
> Fox kenwaasoweewa.
>
> best,
>
> Dave Costa

This is true. What's curious about all this is that while Proto-Algonquain
/*meh$ipe$iwa/ 'big bobcat' is the term for the chthonic deity known in
English as the Underwater Panther, it is rather the longness of things,
the long-tail of the mountain lion, and the long nature of other animals
such as weasels and snakes, that are constellated in the domain of the
Underwater Panther. How the short-tailed, squat-bodied bobcat got mixed up
in this circle is truly a curiosity.

Michael McCafferty