ASB puza

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 02:28:21 UTC 2003

[Sorry for the prolonged non-Siouan digressions here...]

It's also seen in Ottawa /wiikwe/ 'bay' (from Rhodes' dictionary).

Anyway, I thought of that comparison too, but that initial doesn't mean
'bottom'. It actually seems to mean 'corner, cove, angle', as in those last
two Ojibwe examples. In old Illinois it's seen in:

8ic8egamik8i 'le coin, l'angles de la maison'
8ic8egami8i 'anse de riviere, enfoncement'
8ic8eki8i 'enfoncement de la prairie, maniere d'anse'

This last form, phonemic /wiihkweehkiwi/, gets translated in modern Miami as
'bay, cove, bayou, bottomland'.

Either way, it's not equivalent to English 'bottom', so I don't see how it's
cognate with /wiikweepin$ia/ 'lynx'.

David