Different /e/ phonemes in Siouan?

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.colorado.edu
Thu Aug 14 22:51:50 UTC 2003

> If there is a difference here, how do we distinguish these two
> forms of /e/ in NetSiouan?
>
> Thanks,
> Rory

I would advocate "E" for the lax version as being the closest a roman font
can come to an epsilon.

I don't think there is a difference between he 'horn' and he 'that' in
Lakota, but they've dispensed with a lot of reconstructed vowel contrasts.
We used to have fun with "He he he?" 'Is that a horn?'
('that'-'horn'-'question enclitic') when playing with language.  The first
one is always a bit louder and longer than the other two, but I'm sure
that's attributable to sentence intonation.  However, I'm willing to
believe that Dhegiha might have some contrasts that L.  doesn't.
David

David S. Rood
295 UCB
Univ. of Colorado