Instrumental Studies (RE: Different /e/ phonemes in Siouan?)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Fri Aug 15 17:41:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> ..., I think some studies of this sort with Siouan vowels might be
> revealing -- in ALL the languages we work with.  We keep hearing these
> distinctions and keep getting our pronunciation corrected by speakers:
> it's high time we figured out just exactly what's what and then
> followed up in our phonological and grammatical studies.

For what it's worth - the SIL people distribute some software - free I
think - which works with standard sound cards to do things like pitch
contours and at least some other things.  Maybe not sonograms.  So I think
that as long as you have a microphone and a laptop with a standard sound
card you can do at least rudimentary analysis of this sort in the field
today.  You need some disk space for the sound files.

JEK