Speech Analyzer

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 15 18:34:00 UTC 2003

I somehow missed getting the posting on which Wally's comment is based --
don't know why.  But if this program is either free or reasonably
inexpensive, Rory could do some work "on the spot" with what his speakers
are producing.  Spectrograms could certainly allow quantity measurements.
If the software doesn't allow for making vowel plots, the fellow who
introduced William Labov in East Lansing last week mentioned that he (Labov)
had developed the program called "Plotnik" that makes such info visible.

Oops, my email program just announced receiving John's posting AFTER Wally's
reply to it.  Go figure.

Bob

> John undervalues SIL's Speech Analyzer, which is actually a very
sophisticated program, recently in an updated version. Among other things,
it does create spectrograms.

Wally