ASB puza

voorhis at westman.wave.ca voorhis at westman.wave.ca
Tue Aug 19 04:15:20 UTC 2003

Koontz John E wrote:
> The remaining issue here is the comparison of uN or aN with ee.  As I
> think I asked, isn't there something funny about the distribution of *ee
> in Algonquian - like first syllables only?

I'll comment on this since the "lurking Algonquianists" don't seem to be
reacting.  Proto-Algonquian short *i and *e apparently didn't contrast
in first syllables; *e is generally reconstructed.  Proto-Algonquian
long *ii seems not to occur in initial position, though after cononants
both *ii and *ee are found in first syllables.  Elsewhere *ee and *aa
are occasionally in alternation conditioned by following pronominal
suffixes.

Paul