Siouan Conference

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Tue Aug 19 14:27:59 UTC 2003

Hi, Vida!  Glad you are in on the conversation.   I'd love to have the
UmoNhoN Language Center's input in planning the conference.  A presentation
on the work you and the elders have been doing in Macy would be great -- I
was hoping for something like that anyway, so I'm glad you volunteered it.
Maybe we can arrange a visit to the Center, or maybe you have other ideas.
I'll call you to talk about it.

Thanks for your invitation -- it's way too long since I've made it over to
the school.   I'll try to come see you guys before the semester gets too
messy.  Probably on a Tuesday or Thursday afternoon.  But I'll call first.

Talk to you soon.   Give my regards to everyone at the Center!
Catherine

                      Vida Stabler
                      <vstabler at esu1.org>         To:       siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                      Sent by:                    cc:
                      owner-siouan at lists.c        Subject:  Re: Siouan Conference
                      olorado.edu

                      08/18/03 03:37 PM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

Hi Catherine, now you have my interest.  I always wanted to find an
opportunity
where the Siouan group could meet our team here at the UmoNhoN Language
Center.  We'd love to be involved with the planning.  Maybe we could share
some
of the work we do.  Many of you know our team at the School has been
working
with Ardis Eschenberg for over 3 years now.  For those of you who don't
know,
the Elders (6), Ardis and I are part of a revitilization effort here on the
Omaha reservation.  We have made great gains over the last 3 years and I
will
never again 'bad talk' Linguists (aye!).  The Siouan group can really do a
lot
to help Native people with revitilization efforts.  We've been at it over 5
years and could present what we have learned, especially what the Elders
have
taught us.  What do you think?
Vida Stabler, UmoNhoN Language Center Director

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC wrote:

> Hey, all --  I'm finally back home in Nebraska from the Michigan meeting
> (just in time to  catch the tail end of the Omaha tribal powwow in Macy,
on
> a scorching hot day) and before I get sidetracked by too many other
things
> I want to check in with everybody about next year's conference.
>
> (1) The conference will be in Wayne, Nebraska, hosted by Wayne State
> College.  I talked to my dean and he is enthusiastic about
> supporting/hosting us, so it's definitely a go.
>
> (2) DATE --   Let's aim for early summer -- June or possibly even late
May.