ASB puza

Michael McCafferty arem8 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:27:47 UTC 2003

>From: voorhis at westman.wave.ca
>To: siouan at lists.colorado.edu
>Subject: Re: ASB puza
>Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:15:20 -0500
>
>Koontz John E wrote:
> > The remaining issue here is the comparison of uN or aN with ee.  As I
> > think I asked, isn't there something funny about the distribution of *ee
> > in Algonquian - like first syllables only?
>
>I'll comment on this since the "lurking Algonquianists" don't seem to be
>reacting.  Proto-Algonquian short *i and *e apparently didn't contrast
>in first syllables; *e is generally reconstructed.  Proto-Algonquian
>long *ii seems not to occur in initial position, though after cononants
>both *ii and *ee are found in first syllables.  Elsewhere *ee and *aa
>are occasionally in alternation conditioned by following pronominal
>suffixes.

I "lurk" or rather "stalk" the Siouan discussion site for things that
Siouanists have to say that might be relevant to Algonquian, as I'm
especially interested in the former Siouan presence in the Ohio valley-- the
Miami-Illinois name for the Ohio River does in fact translate to "Kaw
River". Also, I stalk this listserv because John Koontz and Bob Rankin have
been so kind over the years in answering my questions-- and with really
interesting answers-- that I've always wanted to see what more they and
their colleagues have to say about things. But, in this case, John's query
seems to have bypassed my lurking eyes.

I guess all I can add to Paul's posting is that Proto-Algonquian long */ee/
occurs, as far as I know, in all manner of syllables, but  not in word-final
position (although PA penultimate-syllable */ee/ does give word-final long
/ee/ in Ojibwe).  PA */ee/ is especially common in the penultimate syllable,
e.g.,  */wecye:wa/ 'fly' (n.) and  */melwowe:wa/ 'he/she speaks well'.
Initial-syllable */ee/ is not extremely common, actually, but occurs in, for
example, */e:likwa/ 'ant' and */e:hsepana/ 'raccoon'.

Michael McCafferty