In Regard to Thanka ec^ha

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 20 16:42:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Koontz John E wrote:
> Be careful.  ...

My conclusion, after thinking about this further, and without going into
details, is that somebody on the list who communicates with the person in
question off list has a virus infected system, and that the virus
constructed a message to the list that appeared to come from the person in
question.  However, the address used for the supposed sender wasn't quite
right for his list subscription, and so the letter was bounced back to the
supposed sender by the list.

However, what this tells me is that a virus mailing (or even a spam
mailing) targetting this list that does appear to come from an actual
subscriber to this list might get through.  It depends on how successful
the camouflaging of the actual sender is.  In the case of a virus, the
actual sender might well be an asctual subscriber, of course, and no
camouflaging would be needed.  Fortunately most current viruses cleverly
avoid sending mail in the actual name of the infected user/system.  In any
event, please be careful with list mailings that fit virus or spam
patterns.  If anything does get through, I'll reset the list so that I
approve all postings, but that's sort of like shutting the door to the
henhouse with the fox inside.