PMV 'want'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 1 20:19:23 UTC 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> OK, how about the $64 question . . . what is it in the 1st dual and/or
> plural form?  Are both parts inflected there, or just the first one?

Otherwise known as the A12 question ...

I omitted this in my summary of the other languages, too.  The issue here
is that in forms like OP ...gaN=...dha where the attested form is
aNgaNdha, it's impossible to be sure if the form is aN-gaN=aN-dha or
aN-gaN=dha.  The former might or might not be distinguishable as
aNgaNaNdha if length were being heard.  In Winnebago and Dakotan the issue
doesn't arrise, though what the form is might be an interesting question
in Winnebago with its preverb roo= ~ ru= (< hiro- ?).

A similar issue arises with maNdhiN:  A1 maNbdhiN, A2 maNhniN, A3
maNdhiN=i, aNmaN(aN?)dhiN=i.

JEK