double inflection

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Aug 4 04:47:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
> 	I don't have any of my reference books here at home as I write
> this, but John's mention of the verb 'to say' triggers a vague memory in
> my mind to the effect that Lak. does the same thing with that one.  'Say'
> is eya, conjugated ephe, ehe for 'I say', 'you say' (the only verb left
> that uses those inflections).  I am pretty sure I've seen it reduplicated
> and conjugated on both halves: ephaphe, ehahe.  If you want to use that
> "fact" in your paper, however, you must give me a chance to verify it.

This is interesting.  I looked in Buechel, following up on David's
suggestion and the entry is there (146a), sure enough.  I didn't realize
this formation was present outside of Omaha-Ponca.

Buechel gives eya'ya 'to say often' (vs. e'yaya 'to take or have taken
with one' = a + iyaya?; eye'ya 'to make say, to say something'),
inflected epha'pha, uNkeyayapi. Riggs lists the same form (118b) and adds
ehaha as the second person (Buechel omits these).

I checked and couldn't find comparable forms in Osage, IO, or Winnebago.
I didn't search exhaustively, however.

JEK