ASB puza

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Aug 10 22:00:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Michael McCafferty wrote:
> Kurten, B. and E. Anderson (1980) Pleistocene Mammals of North America. New
> York: Columbia University Press

I have this, by the way.

> Our Siouanist friends may be interested in knowing that in Miami-Illinois we
> have (at least) six terms for the Underwater Cat:
>
> /mih$pin$iwa/ 'great cat',
> /araamipin$ia/ 'underwater cat',
> /ariimipin$ia/ 'within-cat',
> /akimarenia/ 'chiefman',
> /lenipin$ia/ 'original or ordinary cat' (this is a late historical form)
> and the one you mentioned the other day whose meaning we don't
> know, /wiikweepin$ia/  '?-cat'
> ($ = sh, i.e., s-hacek).

For what it's worth, I've just noticed that wiikwee is actually a pretty
good match for that Siouan 'cat' set (per the CSD):

PSI *-truN

Te igmu'
Sa inmu'

IO udwaN' (+ yiNGe 'little')  (u- ???)
Wi wiic^aN'wa(siNiNc^serec^) 'cougar' (long-tailed cat)

Dh *i(N)kruN-ka

OP iNgdhaN'(ga)
Ks iluN
Os iluN'ka

Bi tmoc^-ka

Tu taluskik (I'd guess the root is something like t(a)lus followed by kik
indicating something like 'small', though not, I think otherwise attested.
Maybe kik is -ka + yiNk(i) 'little', contracted together.)

Yuchi has something like atyuNne 'wildcat', though I'm not sure I've
rerendered the DOS representation of Yuchi's complex orthography
correctly.

Northern Iroquoian has a series of terms that I'll try to sum up with
Mohawk atiiru.  (I think there's a grave accent over the long i.)

Note that the Siouan pus forms, per the CSD, are:

Hi puus^ihke = puusi + diminutive

Ma pu's ~ puse', pu'spuse

La pusi'la

Tu pus (Probably should be puus)