ASB puza

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Mon Aug 11 20:01:41 UTC 2003

 > Tigers?  Would this be jaguars or ocelots?
 > JEK

In Amer. use, usually 'cougar', e.g., Alexander Henry 1776 in Travels &
Adventures (1901) 305: "The animals, which I saw alive on the Plains,
are oxen, red-deer and wolves; but, I saw also the skins of foxes,
bears, and a small number of panthers, sometimes called tigers, and most
properly, <i>cougars</i>."

And 1894 in Dict. Americanisms: "The panther was long called a 'tyger'
in the Carolinas, and a 'lyon' elsewhere".

Red-deer: for goodness' sake, let's not get into cervids until the
felids are all explicated ;)

Alan