ASB puza

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 14 18:29:22 UTC 2003

>> > A couple of questions here: Could we get an expansion of the acronyms
>> BF and
>> > PC for those of us who are Algonquian-challenged? Also, without
>> > presuppositions about which way borrowing is supposed to have gone,
are BF
>> > poos, PC poosii- and Penobscot p at so (@ = schwa) reasonable reflexes of
>> > Proto-Algonquian?

> If asked this way: no, because the former two and the latter are two
> distinct etyma.

>>I think 'BF' is Blackfoot; I'm not sure what 'PC' is supposed to stand
for;
>>among Algonquianists, it usually stands for 'Plains Cree',

> Yep.

Thanks to David and Heike for answering my questions about this.
Blackfoot and Plains Cree certainly are not in the right location
geographically to be relevant to my hypothesis, and their /poos-/
forms are not from Proto-Algonquian *pe$iwa.  That leaves us so
far with Penobscot /p at so/, which is in the right place, and is
a native term.

Now I'm wondering what other Algonquian languages would have been
represented 500 years ago along the northeast coast, especially
from New England to the Gulf of St. Lawrence area.  Do we have,
or can we predict, the form of the *pe$iwa etymon in these
languages?  Also, what about their terms for hares and rabbits?
Are any of these at all "puss"-like?

Rory