Dances with Wolves

Parks, Douglas R. parksd at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:20:17 UTC 2003

Anthony,

It has been several years since I watched Dances with Wolves, but the
"Pawnees" in the movie were not speaking Pawnee--or anything like it.
My impression was that the speech is nonsense.  (But maybe if I listened
again I might hear a Pawnee word or two.)

That is also the case for most of the Arikara speech that occurs in a TV
serial on Custer that aired five or six years ago.  The character
playing Bloody Knife (Custer's favorite scout) says, "Kaakii'," which
means "no."  The English subtitles, however, gave two or three long
sentences for Kaakii'.  The other Arikara is jibberish.  Ditto the
Arikara in the sequel to "A Man Called Horse."  That's not surprising,
though, given the nature of Arikara and Pawnee.

Doug

-
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com