Dances with Wolves

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:13:23 UTC 2003

According to a companion book to the film, S. Dakota was chosen because there
was a large buffalo herd there. (Even the Civil War scenes were shot there, and
trees  and grass were spray-painted to make it look like the southeast.) Perhaps
the location dictated the shift from Comanche to Lakota.  As noted in earlier
messages, there were only two fluent Dakotan speakers in the cast, Doris Leader
Charge (Lakota) who served as the language coach, and Floyd Red Crow Westerman
(Dakota).  Incidentally, most of the  scenes with more authentic Lakota speech
were cut for the theater version, but have been restored in the director's cut
(4 hrs. long, but with the virtue of allowing skipping to the restored village
scenes where the two fluent speakers have more extended conversations with each
other.)

Linda