More regarding "wa"

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 20:42:19 UTC 2003

I looked at my wa-file again, and I found one example in which wa- potentially has animate reference in Lakota:

John wa-w-iyuNg^a-pi

John WA-WA-ask-PL

can mean either 'they ask John about things' or 'they ask people about John'. Regarding the second translation, my speaker feels that wa- refers to the people being asked. However, this is the only example in hundreds of wa-clauses in which wa- seems to have animate reference. But thinking about this further, in etymologizing Lakota nouns such as

wa-makha-s^kaN

WA-earth-move.ITR

'animal (i.e. [on-]earth-mover)',

we end up with animate reference for wa- again. Or is there a different way of analyzing this form?

Regina