Dances with Wolves, special edition dvd

Pat Warren warr0120 at umn.edu
Tue Dec 2 14:59:40 UTC 2003

If you want a lot of information on the movie, check out the recently
released special edition dvd (may 2003). First of all, the movie has an
extra HOUR of footage, so it's now four hours long! Lots more historical
setting, more language scenes, more of lakhota culture, all around better.
There's two documentaries included - one from when the movie was made and a
new one. But for backround you can't beat the director's commentary. You
get to listen (if you want) to Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson talk
for four hours about the movie as you watch it: how it was made, the
script, the filming locations (almost entirely South Dakota: it was the
best/only place to get a large herd of buffalo to do good acting), the
actors, the language and culture, how to not get run over by a buffalo... I
don't think they ever commented on what the "pawnee" guys were speaking.

I paid $20 for it, and I bet some video stores will have it too. And while
you're out shopping pick up Atanarjuat (Fast Runner), an inuit film of a
traditional inuit story entirely in inuktitut and with all inuit actors,
and Whale Rider, a maori film - easily the most inspirational movie I've
ever seen (make sure your kids see it too). But watch Atanarjuat first,
cause you'll need the New Zealand weather to warm you up after all that
time in the arctic.

Pat Warren