More regarding "wa"

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Dec 17 20:08:19 UTC 2003

Is (wa-)nidhe a causative?  Looks like one.  I'm
assuming that the internal bracketting is [[wa]
[[ni] [dhe]]].  The semantics of the derivational
process here seem fairly consistent, although one
wouldn't expect the semantic outcome of derivation
necessarily to be predictable.  I can't decide
right off whether I consider this (apparently
nominalizing) WA- to be related to our other WA's
synchronically or not.  But "one morpheme or
two??" is an ancient and vexed question when one
tried to a strictly synchronic grammar.

Bob