Winnebago info

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 2 07:07:58 UTC 2003

Hi John,

Thanks for the info!

- There are lots of nasal vowels in all Siouan languages except Crow and
Hidatsa.  Winnebago or Hochank/Hocak as the folks in Wisconsin seem to
prefer is one of the Siouan languages where it seems more or less posible
to consider that nasal stops (or sonorants) m and n are allophones of w
and r conditioned by nasal vowels.  There is also a special nasalized r
that is an allophone of r after a nasal vowel.

Upon my relatively brief perusal of the Winnebago Grammar so far, I did see that n seems to replace r after a nasal vowel.  I wasn't aware of the m and w, and I also did not know about a special nasalized r (but doesn't the r change to n after a nasalized vowel?).  I am reminded of the Hidatsa (although this may include other Siouan languages too) trait of m and w being allophonic as well as (I think) b and n especially when in word initial position.  Apparently in Hidatsa m comes out in the "careful" slow pronunciation instead of w.  Hidatsa also seems to have a habit of making -voiced consonants into +voiced in medial positions, e.g., p > b, k > g.  (John B, please correct me on any of this if I'm wrong.)  Is this also a trait of other Siouan languages?

Yes, I am interested in Winnebago/Ho Chunk.  John B. actually got me interested in it upon my visit last year in Chicago when I was grilling him about Hidatsa (this is the first Siouan language I've somewhat studied from Matthews's dictionary and grammar).  Ho Chunk is also the language I'd probably like to work on for a PhD dissertation if and when I get into a linguistics PhD program (so far I've applied to U of Chicago and UC Santa Barbara--still awaiting word from both) just as John B is doing with Hidatsa.  I'm also at least passively interested in Osage since I'm told I'm a wee small part Osage by heritage, and I'm anxious to see Carolyn Quintero's grammar!  Anyway, we'll see what happens.

I just have way TOOO much fun with languages!!!

Take care,
Dave