A little more haplology.

Linda Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Sun Jan 12 18:49:42 UTC 2003

-------------------
> To see what you yourself do about haplological (?) situations,
figure out what you do with the noun/verb 'lightning' in English.
Consider:

> thunder
> to thunder
> It is thundering outside.
>
> lightning
> to lightning
> It is __________ outside.

I'm inclined to avoid the double -ing by saying something like
"there's a lot of lightning" or "Wow! look at all the lightning!"

 Not to mention the fact that the phenomenon of reduplication out to
desensitize Dakotan speakers to haplology.

Interesting thought, but I my data don't support the desensitization
argument. In a text Ray and Doug recorded from a Fort Belknap narrator
we have the reduplicated form:

ektashiNshiN  'strangely, in an unconventional manner'
(ektashiN  'mistakenly')

But ten years later, her daughter gave me the following:

huNkeshiN                 'be slow'
mahuNkeshiN               'I am slow'

(Note that the word for 'fast' is not "huNke" or huNka" but ox'aNko)

She rejects a negative form: *mahuNkeshiNshiN
and gives instead:            miyeshiN mahuNkeshiN
used in a phrase:             miyeshiN nahaNx mahuNkeshiN
            'I'm not slowing down yet' (reference to effects of aging)

So, the reduplication is acceptable, but the double negative is not.

Linda