A little more haplology.

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 18:58:45 UTC 2003

According to my dictionary, to verb is "lighten" which I guess means the correct verb form is "It is lightening"--referring perhaps to the sky being lit up by a flash.  But I too have always found this lightning/lightening thing confusing in English.  This is one of those situations in English when I wish our grammar were more like many Native languages: "lightning" or "lightening" (with no subject) which gets the point across with no need to distinguish noun or verb!

-Dave