Winnebago info

Jim G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Wed Jan 15 03:49:57 UTC 2003

First, let me ask if the Zep's in the Siouan Archives, which is on an
older Word Perfect (for DOS), be converted by some computer savey person
into a MSWord 85 file, that preserves the special characters, accented
letters and other diacritics which VZ used, and is apparent in the
printout version?

And then, as a result of the recent inquires on Winnebago/ HochaNk, I got
out my original Drive B: floppy diskette sent to me by VZ in Dec.1995
before he left for his fatefull journey home in Latvia.  Without going
into details, I encountered problems, and shared the same with Bob.  This
resulted in my getting in contact with Ken Miner, now retired, and having
a good visit.  He later sent me his Lexicon file and then his Grammar
(unfinished he said) which is also on WP.  Ken stated that he sent the
same to Boulder, Siouan Archives at a previous time, so I presume they
are there.

My PC does not include a WP version above #6, and opened the files as
MSWord98.  As such, I encountered character distortions.  I saved the
file in a WSMy Documents file until I can do something with it.  However,
this is to confirm John's findings, namely, that Ken did an apparent
update.  One example should suffice.  First how it appeared on my screen,
and then, from his printed file on hand:
#2541 (formerly #2412):
Came out as:     "--p]is  -'is,     blink eyes (once)"
[My old Miner file = "his^ja'gip?i's"]    Note: I've wrote this is a Net
style, not in Ken's orthography.

I just needed a Word Perfect to read it, it seems, and Bob was kind
enough to lend me his ver.8.  And then, I was about to install it today,
when my PC consultant EM'd early this a.m., saying Dont do it, because
the WP files end in a ".doc" extention, just like MSWord.  He asked me to
wait until he can come by to work on it, least MSWord confuse itself with
the WP files, and unleash some serious situation in my PC system.  Now, I
am not explaining it as he did, but surely John will have some
comprehension of it all.

So I am confirming John's finding, as well as, leting others like myself
who are not real swift with computer technology know that there's a
difference between MSWord & Word Perfect.  I didnt know it previous to
this Winnebago dialog.
Jimm

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:46:17 -0700 (MST) Koontz John E
<John.Koontz at colorado.edu> writes:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Alan Knutson wrote:
> > "Valdis Zeps incorporated the Miner dictionary into his all-inclusive
> > typescript at the U. of Wisconsin along with Josie White Eagle's
lexical
> > materials. .  I don't know where to get a copy of the Zeps work."
>
> A copy of Zeps's material (computer files and, as I recall, a printout)
is