Chair

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:07:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> If Curtis had an Indian name (his Kaw blood quantum was pretty small), then
> "Charger" or something like that could easily be it.  If this is not his
> name, then I'm a little unhappy with the "charge, menace" translation.

As a name a problem is having oN -me' embedded in it.

I suppose koN on tha i ha might possibly be 'He is a Kaw', though
LaFlesche doesn't usually write th for s.  He does write c-cedilla
"pronounced like th in [thin?]" or something like that.  i don't recall
his actual example.  Here it would be voiced.  OP would have kkaNze, or in
the third person kkaNza=i.

The author does contrast k (=kk in 'friend') and g.  He isn't writing k
for the simple stop.

JEK